Monday, August 6, 2012

So why Hong Kong?

Okay so I thought I'd use this time to become familiar with this blog site, as well as get use to talking to anyone that might be reading this. I appreciate all my family and great friends that asked me to keep a blog because I want a way to remember this exciting experience as I am sure it WILL change my life, and me as a person. Some of you may think you are getting the opportunity to live vicariously through me ;) but honestly I am the one gaining the most out of having my friends and family on this journey with me. I know that this experience would be a lot less fun if I didn't have anyone to share it with, so thank you guys!

As for why I chose Hong Kong.... hmmm... for so many reasons, the first being that I wanted an opportunity to truly understand a completely different culture. I want to eat like Chinese do, speak like them, live like them and hopefully retain knowledge like they do :) hehe. When I look back on the way I've grown up and the things I have been faced with in life, I don't even know how I have been able to dream so big. Going to Hong Kong for me is taking my future into my own hands, and not allowing my shortcomings to overcome me. I can't begin to describe how truly blessed I am and thankful that I've been given this opportunity. When I was 13 and living in a motel, the idea of me being a junior in college and on my way to study in Hong Kong for 4 months would have been unimaginable. Not everyone who comes from a past like mine makes it out with so many accomplishments. I have something to be proud of. I am someone  to be proud of. I don't acknowledge often enough how far I've come. I promise all of you I will  get all I can get from this experience. I promise I will enjoy this journey not as the girl from a bad background or the girl who's lucky to have made it out, but as the woman who isn't afraid to go after what I believe in.

Courtney


5 comments:

  1. Wow! I love this! The first post made me want to cheer (and, this early, that's amazing!). I am so very proud of you, Courtney. I am glad you took the time to reflect on how far you've come. Your journey thus far has no doubt prepared you for the exciting one before you. I look forward to every post -whether from here or HK! Love you!! - Angela, xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! It makes me really happy that you will be reading and able to see what's going on with me :) and I love you too! xoxo

      Delete
  2. I agree!! This is a great start to what will be an awesome blog! I can't wait to read your posts and hopefully see lots of pictures of you doing / eating / wearing Chinese things :) I'm glad that you are realizing how proud you should be--because we are all super freakin proud of you. I am so ecstatic that you are going to have this experience and that you are going to share it with all of us. This is going to be soo much FUN :)

    Also, the video was cool! I wonder how that works. Please find frozen coke! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So freaking exciting!! I hope I find Chinese stuff to wear because Justin just thinks that is hilarious! I cannot wait to get there... but all my nerves and stuff r kicking in now. This is the part where I am realizing I'm leaving really soon and for 4 months, but I know they're going to fly by! We better skype and stuff while i'm there.. because I am positive I am going to miss you like crazy, even tho we're apart now, and we always know how to make each other laugh :)

      Delete
    2. Oh yea and all I can think about is that cool freaking Coke machine! lol..

      Delete